Packing for any trip can be stressful, and while packing for a cruise isn't drastically different than packing for other trips, there are some things you should keep in mind. We've put together a list of items you should consider packing for your next cruise. You'll note we didn't include clothing, as the line your sailing, dining preferences, itinerary, time of year, etc can all drastically impact those rather personal choices. That in mind, we wouldn't hate it if you checked out our awesome cruise t-shirts.
Cruise Packing List
In addition to the below list, make sure you check out our Cruise Packing Series for more tips and helpful information, including a list of items you should bring along which could save you money.
Travel Documents and Paperwork Packing List
- Airline tickets or e-ticket confirmation
- Cruise documents
- COVID vaccine and testing documents
- Passports or other proof of citizenship – Do you need a passport to cruise?
- Photo ID (in addition to passport, as a backup)
- Copy of prescriptions and list of all medicines you are taking
- Credit cards – Wondering about paying for things abroad?
- Cash (especially for tips) – Who should I tip on my cruise?
- Copies of the front and back of credit cards, travel documents, etc
- Business/contact cards with email address to give out to new cruise friends
- Luggage tag holders (to keep you from having to tape and staple printouts)
Electronics Packing List
- Mobile phone & tablet
- Charger for mobile phone & accessories (consider a USB power hub) – How can I keep in touch on my cruise?
- Plug adapter and/or converter for foreign ports and to add outlets in your stateroom. – Power strips are banned from ships, what are alternatives?
- Binoculars (especially if sailing Alaska or Norway)
- Lanyard w/ pouch to carry your room key, ID, etc
Medicine/Personal Care Packing List
- Essential medications (in carry-on)
- Hand sanitizer – Does your hand sanitizer kill Norovirus?
- Bug spray (depending on excursions)
- Sunscreen (even if sailing Alaska) – Why are some sunscreens banned in Mexico, Hawaii, etc?
- Glasses, contacts, contact cleaner (consider an extra pair)
- Travel sized soap, deodorant, etc
- Waterproof dopp kit (for safe and easy packing/unpacking)
Other "Necessities" Packing List
- Electrical tape (to cover lights if you require complete darkness at night)
- Magnetic hooks to hang items for storage or drying from your stateroom ceiling
- Ziploc bags – Why should I carry ziplock bags?
- Snorkeling/sports equipment - Have you tried a full-face snorkel?
- Empty folding tote bag (for souvenirs or the beach)
- Reusable straws (if you don't like paper straws now used on most ships)
- Glasses strap (required on some ropes courses and other attractions)
Looking for gear that can save you time, space, and money? The CruiseHabit Shop has what you need at fantastic prices. We've also got great cruise shirts so you can stand out on deck.