Apex vs Edge - Cruise Chat - CruiseHabit Cruise Community Jump to content

Apex vs Edge

Johnbob7
Message added by CruiseHabit Bill

There is now a post on the site highlighting the differences between Celebrity Edge and Celebrity Apex.  Check it out for photos and other info: 

Differences Between Celebrity Apex and Celebrity Edge

We are long time loyal to royal cruisers that have been lured into booking our first Celebrity cruise sailing on a Apex next year. A big part of the lure has been reading/listening/viewing the many reviews of the Edge by Billy and others. The innovations in design and offerings spoke to us as something new and fresh.

Shortly after booking, the Apex reveal was issued by Celebrity. I was struck by some of the commentary by the various X leadership members as being almost apologetic for the Edge and promising that Apex would be more traditional, if not in actual ship build but in offerings. For example, Eden menu will be made “more accessible”. And theater productions will be “more about the performers and less about the technology”.

One of the things I noticed in my research was the polarization of response to the Edge, ie people either loved it or didn’t. It seemed there was a segment of experienced X customers that did not like most of the changes, preferred the “old way”. My concern is that the Celebrity team is trying to modify offerings on the Apex to mollify that demographic at the expense of those of us that might enjoy the “new and different”.

Wondering what others take on this might be? 

BobJ

So first, what's not changing (in any material way): The physical ship.  The build is the same.  There have been tweaks to account for things like the bartenders getting drenched on the Magic Carpet and at the Sunset Bar whenever it rains.  Things like that, the materials used on stairs in the Grand Plaza (the current materials scratch and were already changed in some places on Edge).  I'm sure there are others, but these are minor and more about operational enhancements.

For entertainment, Celebrity will continue to offer a combination of the more contemporary shows like Hype, Hot Summer Night's Dream, Elysium, etc (links to live blogs talking about each of those shows), as well as some more traditional mash-up type shows.  This really isn't about Edge though, as Celebrity started producing these new-style shows several years ago.  I first saw one (blanking on which) on Constellation over three years ago.  Elysium we saw on Equinox in September.  In other words, Edge got a lot of attention - even when it was for things Celebrity has been doing for a bit.  I will say that the first batch of performances on Edge did leverage much of the technology in the theater a bit more than they do now - and I think that was a matter of trying out new stuff to see what works for a given show.  Ric recently sailed Sky Princess, which has a VERY high-tech stage and actually said he found the use of tech distracting - but conceded it's likely a matter of "play with new stuff, see what works" as that ship had been sailing just a short time when he boarded.

Entertainment in Eden will change, and while I can't share too much about how, when Celebrity says each night will be a different show, they mean it (they aren't just saying each is different as in it's a dynamic performance).  They'll still have that Edge quality, but in the first year Edge sailed we saw MANY adjustments to Eden (some which we liked, others which we saw as them having to water things down a bit).  I really like some of the new shows I've heard about coming to Apex, and as someone who LOVES Eden, I'm looking forward to this more than I am fearing change.

I've actually not got any insight into cuisine changes themselves.  I know the feedback on the multiple MDR setup has been extremely positive, and Edge has had good guest responses all around cuisine.  Yes, some find the cuisine in Eden Restaurant too "exotic", and if I am being honest, it's hard for me to grasp how.  I found the food well prepared, with flavors and textures that were thoughtfully combined.  Presentation was unique (and has been tweaked in the first year), but aside from sea-urchin, I don't recall much on the menu that most people aren't accustomed to eating, just prepared differently.  Don't like sea-urchin?  Afraid to try something new?  Don't order it.  I think you see a lot of strong opinion shining through here ?

Celebrity, I am confident, is not going to "over correct".  Yes, people like things that companies do, and they don't like when those things go away or change.  The good news is that Edge offers a wide variety of entertainment and dining options, so it's not as if anyone is being forced into audience-participation during Eden or force-fed any given menu item.  If they go back, they don't innovate, and if they don't innovate, they only keep those happy who don't want change, the current customers who welcome it, and the millions of potential cruisers that haven't tried the product yet, those are the people they're eyeing.

To wrap up my thoughts for now, a lot of this is in messaging.  When a traditional cruiser who isn't interested in trying new stuff sees an ad that touts the innovative things happening in Eden, they decide it's not for them.  Ask that same person if they're interested in seeing aerialists, eating XYZ foods, etc, and they just might be.  Every line learns and tweaks second builds (which is one of the things I love), but messaging will be tweaked too - making sure the right message gets to the right people, even when that means different messages going to different folks who are all about to enjoy the same ship.

• Like 2

Disney nut, cruise fiend, tech geek, condescending elitist.
I talk ship at CruiseHabit.com
Frequent 'No One Else Was Available' guest on RoyalCaribbeanblog.com/podcast

Bill, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response to my post. I do blame you and Ric for being major contributors to our “let’s try Celebrity” decision based on your many reviews, podcasts and live blogs. Very much enjoy your approach in talking cruise.

Do y’all have any plans to sail (and review) Apex anytime before January 2021? Would look forward to your perceptions.

Hope to cross paths someday.

BobJ

Blame us, just don't bill us.  

I actually had plans to sail Apex before then but have a conflict.  I'm working on figuring that out now - too many cruises, too little time.  At very least we'll go on for the day.  I'll announce it once we work something out.

• Like 1

@Johnbob7, given the ship build is not changing in any meaningful way, you can bet that the passengers who did nothing but kvetch about the Infinite Verandah rooms and how inferior they are to "proper" verandahs will continue to stay off the lawn ship. ? 

I've read their complaints and seen the pictures of the room, and I honestly don't get where they're coming from. When the outside window panel is lowered to make it a balcony space, how is it really any different from a "regular" verandah apart from the fact it has French doors to separate main room and balcony? You still have dividers on each side that block your view unless you lean out, you still have a separate space for the loungers / chairs... Honestly, I think those cabins would be great in a colder-weather cruise where you want to use the balcony space but don't want to deal with cold air and/or rain.

• Like 1

- Joe -

Upcoming cruises:

• 14-night Western Med and Adriatic Medley - Regal Princess - July 16, 2022 (tentative)

Completed cruises:

• Bermuda - Anthem of the Seas - October 19, 2019
  • Bermuda - Anthem of the Seas - October 13, 2018
  • Eastern Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas - March 31, 2018

Canceled / Covid-19 impacted

• Greenland & Iceland Transatlantic - Celebrity Summit - August 2, 2020

Jlmoran, I agree the complaints on the IV are prevalent, and also agree that it does not look that bad to me. (But haven’t sailed Edge yet, so no first hand knowledge)

the other big complaint I read is the reallocation of their sky view space to the suites retreat spaces. Coming from Royal I am familiar with such concerns, as royal on oasis class has converted the former Viking crown public space to suite only spaces. I understand they are unhappy, and they still have many other ships that offer public front viewing spaces. Just not Edge class.

i think the cruise lines are finding it lucrative to provide some special perks to suites, it does draw a lot of interest. We are a case in point...love these perks and enjoy them very much.

bobj

As for the IV rooms - we've loved all three of ours.  I think for those who like "lounging" on their verandah for hours, it doesn't work - but for those who like occasional time out on their balcony, the ability to remotely open the blackouts and have floor to ceiling views, and a lot of extra interior/air-conditioned space, it's a win.  The good news is traditional verandahs are still avail on Edge class for those who do like lounging out for a long period of time.  For us, we'll keep getting an IV every time.

As for the retreat space, people that can't go into an area are going to want it, those booking suites or getting access otherwise will love it.  This is true on any ship, of any layout, for any line.  On Edge I'd be surprised if people aren't as upset by it since it's not as if other similar ships have this space open - while it's only for suite guests on this one ship.  It's the first in it's class.  That said, I'd also bet if they simply didn't make it obvious at the forward area of the jogging track, it'd be out of sight and out of mind (like Yacht Club on MSC).

We sailed the Edge last year and, after a day or two of adjustment, love our IV. Waking up and opening the doors, curtain and top window --- no better view to wake up to. We didn't miss not be able to go to the Retreat area. Loved the Solarium -- wish Royal paid some attention to that , the Solariums on Oasis class ships are laughable. We also thought the main pool deck was one of the prettiest we have seen, and the main pool is huge.

We are booked on the Apex in January 2021, in a category E1 with an IV. Looks like our family cruises (and a TA or two) will be on the Oasis ladies, but when its the two of us, we will lean towards Celebrity.

mac

• 8 months later...

We just posed an article with loads of pics showing some of the differences between Edge and Apex: https://www.cruisehabit.com/differences-between-celebrity-apex-and-celebrity-edge

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 10:57 AM, CruiseHabit Bill said:

We just posed an article with loads of pics showing some of the differences between Edge and Apex: https://www.cruisehabit.com/differences-between-celebrity-apex-and-celebrity-edge

Thanks for sharing this info. Looking forward to the days we can get “live” reports from the first few sailings of Apex. We chose to lift and shift our January 2020 sailing to 2021, but I will hopefully sneak onto a ship before that if at all possible.

bobj

• Like 1