Carnival Mardi Gras - Aug. 21 - 28, 2021, 7 Nights - Western Caribbean - Page 4 - Trip Reports - Post your cruise photos and stories! - CruiseHabit Cruise Community Jump to content

Carnival Mardi Gras - Aug. 21 - 28, 2021, 7 Nights - Western Caribbean

Bar Della Rosa.

mg-8-21-21-487.jpg

mg-8-21-21-488.jpg

Bar Della Rosa became my morning latte spot. 

mg-8-21-21-490.jpg

mg-8-21-21-492.jpg

mg-8-21-21-495.jpg

Shore Excursions:

mg-8-21-21-491.jpg

Welcome to the circus!

mg-8-21-21-493.jpg

This appeared to be a new act in a rehearsal.  They were blocking out some moves... a show biz term for putting the event together and planning the choreography. 

mg-8-21-21-494.jpg

Back on the bridge... err, I mean my balcony.

mg-8-21-21-496.jpg

This is what the view looks like when walking around inside the cabin.

mg-8-21-21-497.jpg

I haven't really spent much time showing off the waterpark and water slides so let's go there now.

mg-8-21-21-500.jpg

mg-8-21-21-501.jpg

Splash bucket.

mg-8-21-21-502.jpg

mg-8-21-21-503.jpg

Minigolf.

mg-8-21-21-504.jpg

mg-8-21-21-505.jpg

mg-8-21-21-506.jpg

mg-8-21-21-507.jpg

mg-8-21-21-508.jpg

mg-8-21-21-509.jpg

Up the stairs for great views and water slides.

mg-8-21-21-510.jpg

mg-8-21-21-511.jpg

mg-8-21-21-512.jpg

mg-8-21-21-513.jpg

mg-8-21-21-514.jpg

mg-8-21-21-515.jpg

mg-8-21-21-516.jpg

mg-8-21-21-517.jpg

mg-8-21-21-518.jpg

Something you probably haven't noticed on this cruise is... exhaust smoke.  Running on LNG Mardi Gras burns very clean and while there is some minor exhaust, it's noticeably cleaner compared to other cruise ships.  Carnival Corporation deserves a lot of praise for bringing this clean technology to it's brands. 

Running near 20 knots here on a sea day it becomes very apparent just how clean this ship runs.

mg-8-21-21-519.jpg

mg-8-21-21-520.jpg

mg-8-21-21-521.jpg

mg-8-21-21-522.jpg

mg-8-21-21-523.jpg

mg-8-21-21-524.jpg

mg-8-21-21-525.jpg

mg-8-21-21-526.jpg

mg-8-21-21-527.jpg

On my way to Summer Landing I spotted pizza and while I had other plans for dinner who doesn't love cruise ship pizza pics?

mg-8-21-21-541.jpg

Backyard Band was performing again.  Seriously good music.

mg-8-21-21-542.jpg

Pig & Anchor Melt.

mg-8-21-21-545.jpg

mg-8-21-21-546.jpg

Four sauces available.

mg-8-21-21-547.jpg

Apple Cobbler.

mg-8-21-21-548.jpg

To the Punchliner for some comedy.

mg-8-21-21-549.jpg

More entertainment on Center Stage as I walked by.

mg-8-21-21-550.jpg

Day Seven - Sea Day

Our progress:

mg-8-21-21-551.jpg

Seas are up ever so slightly.  Think we're catching the extremes of Tropical Storm Ida (at that time).  

mg-8-21-21-552.jpg

No Shaq's on my next several ships so taking full advantage while I can.

mg-8-21-21-553.jpg

mg-8-21-21-554.jpg

Besides, when the buffet bacon is on Ba-Cation there's always bacon at Shaq's on the Biscuit and Egg they offer. 

Breakfast with a view.

mg-8-21-21-555.jpg

Luggage tags available in the deck 16 elevator lobby.

mg-8-21-21-556.jpg

Another morning look for Grand Central and Center Stage as I make my way to Bar Della Rosa for my morning latte.

mg-8-21-21-557.jpg

As we were passing along the Florida Keys the ship slowed and turned.

mg-8-21-21-558.jpg

A guest had reported seeing something that could have warranted a rescue or assistance.  We reversed course to have another look. 

mg-8-21-21-559.jpg

After a brief search of the area nothing was found.  

mg-8-21-21-560.jpg

There were many small cabin cruisers and personal fishing boats given our proximity to the Keys so after doing some due diligence and following rescue protocols we continued on our way.

I used my camera gear and forward view to scan the horizon but other than several small boats that were under power and clearly not in need of assistance nothing was spotted.

When I had first heard about Grand Central and the concept I wasn't sure what to expect but I get what they did now and I think it's a great idea.  There is often something going on and it's a great place to hang out for a bit without a multi-hour commitment involved with a main theater show.  The video wall is pretty stunning as well.

Tonight...  "The World Works Here".

mg-8-21-21-561.jpg

mg-8-21-21-562.jpg

I wanted to try Cucina Del Capitano one more time so I used the app to make an instant reservation.  Once again within seconds I had a table with my name on it.  On my way!

mg-8-21-21-563.jpg

Bread.

mg-8-21-21-564.jpg

Arancini to start.

mg-8-21-21-565.jpg

Pork Chop.

mg-8-21-21-566.jpg

Apple Crostata for dessert.

mg-8-21-21-567.jpg

Great service again and another perfect experience in this complimentary dining venue.

I wanted to see where we were relative to Cape Canaveral in anticipation of a planned SpaceX launch at 3:37am.

mg-8-21-21-581.jpg

Out on my balcony I discovered we had broken out of the cloud cover and I could see quite a few stars between patches of clouds that we passed.  It also seems as though the moon wasn't as bright right then.

There were still some clouds in the area but they were small and passing by.  Using an app I knew where the Milky Way should be and started focusing my efforts there hoping for a good break in the clouds.

mg-8-21-21-575.jpg

Soon enough I started to see it.  Just need those wispy clouds gone.

mg-8-21-21-576.jpg

Despite some light pollution from land I started to have some better luck.

mg-8-21-21-577.jpg

mg-8-21-21-578.jpg

And right above us where the app said it would be was the Milky Way.  Finally, no clouds.

mg-8-21-21-579.jpg

That didn't last as some clouds returned but for a few brief minutes we were in the right place.  Had the moon been in a new phase it would have been a truly spectacular picture.  Just the same I am pleased with the results given a pretty bright moon.

mg-8-21-21-580.jpg

Things looked good for the 3:37am SpaceX launch so I set an alarm and went to bed.

3am alarm.

Stepped out on my balcony to see we were in thick clouds and some thundercells near us.  After a couple closer lightning strikes I went back inside.  Soon it rained pretty good.  Watching the SpaceX launch on my phone it didn't take them for them to scrub it.  

Oh well.  Back to bed. 

The departure letter left in the cabin explained that debarkation would start at 8am for express departure guests - those carrying all their own luggage.  Breakfast would be available starting at 6am.  

I went to the Lido Marketplace for some fresh fruit and out to Shaq's for one last Biscuit.  

Here's the O2 teens club area.

mg-8-21-21-587.jpg

Outdoor seating:

mg-8-21-21-586.jpg

Through a window I could see inside.

mg-8-21-21-588.jpg

I still had nearly 2 hours to kill so I went back and grabbed my camera after packing everything up at 3:30am.  There was a hint of a sunrise starting.

On my way I spotted an interior cabin with the door propped open ready for arriving guests so I grabbed a quick pic. 

mg-8-21-21-590.jpg

Today we pulled in and went straight to the pier.  On most other occasions the ship has gone down to a turning basin and turned first.  However today the aft was to the East where the sun was trying to rise.

mg-8-21-21-589.jpg

mg-8-21-21-591.jpg

Another ship was coming into port.  That's the MSC Divina who will start service in another month's time.  

mg-8-21-21-592.jpg

mg-8-21-21-593.jpg

She's been anchored off the coast recently and I have her booked soon so I was eager to get a good look at her.

mg-8-21-21-594.jpg

mg-8-21-21-595.jpg

mg-8-21-21-596.jpg

Our CD announced that the debarkation process would proceed based on muster stations.  He urged everyone not to come down yet as it would only clog the deck 6 area so I went back to my cabin to wait.

Fortunately right at 8am my muster zone A6 was called and off I went down to deck 6.  There was a short line and we were scanned off the ship.  I had all my bags with me as I didn't use the luggage tag service or place my bags out the night before.  

Terminal 3 has facial recognition scanners provided by CBP but they were offline on this morning.  A CBP officer was present in each queue to look over passports.  Without a US passport you can't use the facial recognition scanners and I have no idea how that process looked for those guests but for me I was outside in the parking garage 10 minutes after leaving my cabin.  

A quick note about the performance internet plan. 

Mardi Gras uses the older geostationary satellite internet for its internet connection.  This was a bit disappointing to see.  While speeds were okay often clocking in around 40-45 Mbps down and nearly the same up the problem is the latency or ping times associated with the older technology.  

I have two cell phones on different carriers and both support WiFi calling yet neither would connect for WiFi calling on Mardi Gras.  This was unexpected as other cruise lines that also use legacy Speedcast technology do allow WiFi calling and while it isn't perfect it does work pretty well.  Consequently I am curious why Carnival has chosen to block WiFi calling on Mardi Gras.

Typical results over the week:

mg-8-21-21-inet1.jpg

Cruise Summary

Mardi Gras is a great ship.  Carnival has done an amazing job with her decor and the multiple zones to spread guests out.   Cruising with reduced capacity right now is amazing but we'll need to see how well she does at full capacity.

I was very pleasantly surprised with my forward extended balcony.  The wind was never so bad as I had feared and I really enjoyed having the same view or nearly the same view as the bridge.   They may get a slightly better on the bridge view but I was able to enjoy adult beverages on my balcony.

I really enjoyed the included food options and that's without ever eating in the MDR.  

Seeing the clean burning LNG through the full cruise was also pretty great and Carnival brands deserve a lot of credit for scaling the technology to this size of ship.   Look Ma... no smoke!

Serenity is a like a resort within a ship and at no additional charge for guests over 21.  It's an amazing space that feels like there should be a charge... but don't tell Carnival I said that.  

Summer Landing is a like a resort within a ship and at no additional charge   It's an amazing space that feels like there should be a charge... but don't tell Carnival I said that.  

Grand Central is another evolution for cruising and I often found myself just sitting down for a few minutes or grabbing a drink and enjoying whatever was going on in the moment.  

Bolt was a lot of fun but for such a short experience I think they need to put some additional thoughts around multi-use passes or lowering the price.  At $15 I don't think I'd do it again even if another ship in the future also comes with a sea coaster.  

I really feel like Carnival put a lot of effort into rethinking the guest experience on Mardi Gras.   With three family pools and one adult pool in Serenity there is space to spread guests out.  With six zones there is space to spread guests out but we'll need to see how guest traffic patterns work once she is sailing at capacity.  This cruise had approximately 3,680 guests on board.  

There are a lot of areas I missed while creating this thread but that's okay, it gives you all something to look forward to discovering.  I don't think you can do it all over just one cruise on Mardi Gras because there is so much going on and in different zones.

I hope you have enjoyed this picture intensive review from Mardi Gras and I thank you for viewing.

mg-8-21-21-611.jpg

• Like 1