MSC Meraviglia - August 6, 2021, 3 Nights to Ocean Cay - Page 3 - Trip Reports - Post your cruise photos and stories! - CruiseHabit Cruise Community Jump to content

MSC Meraviglia - August 6, 2021, 3 Nights to Ocean Cay

1 hour ago, twangster said:

High resolution super panorama.

Great photo!

It's wild how flat these private islands are.  I was biking around Castaway Cay once (DCL's island), and came across a wooden tower thing you could climb.  It wasn't anywhere near as tall as the lighthouse you climbed, but the view was pretty amazing even with the small elevation the structure provided.

Just to set expectations, this trip report is running roughly 24 hours behind live.  It’s the last night on board as I write this so you all know what means… 

Ive gotta pack and drive home tomorrow then I’ll come back to finish up so stay tuned.  Until then, there’s stuff going on around the ship, gotta go.  

YEA!! A Twangster report!!!  Thank you so much!  We're sailing the same itinerary in a couple of weeks and we're also first-time MSC (thanks @CruiseHabit Bill for the heads-up on the sale a couple weeks ago!). Were you able to status match prior to the cruise? If so, how did you receive your benefits (like the welcome cocktail and complimentary upcharge meal)?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:27 AM, Mike at Sea said:
On 8/5/2021 at 10:09 PM, CruiseHabit Bill said:

Twangster ran into this as well.  So far my room has remained the same.  I did see someone on FB saying they the crew sealed off some rooms for embarkation tomorrow (so they can turn things around more quickly).  I can't independently verify that, but it did make me wonder about the room assignments.

I called twice and both times they assigned us a stateroom, only to have it removed within hours.  Too much effort to keep calling, so I'm going to wait and see.  Normally, room location is a big deal for me, but I just want to get back to cruising at this point 😀

Update:  We were finally assigned a room this morning for our Friday sailing.  Original room was on deck 8 and the email from MSC says we were "upgraded" to a Fantastica balcony on deck 11.  No complaint about that.  

On a separate note, the day we booked (7/23) I submitted a status match through the website and have gotten no response. Emailed both MSC Voyager Club and reservations last week and emails went unanswered.  It would be nice to get the benefits, but not holding out hope.  I've seen on some other boards that status match can be hit-or-miss for US residents.

Walking back to the ship from the lighthouse I grabbed a few more photos.

mv-day2-83.jpg

mv-day2-84.jpg

mv-day2-85.jpg

mv-day2-86.jpg

mv-day2-87.jpg

Excursion tickets are available for purchase off the ship.

mv-day2-88.jpg

mv-day2-89.jpg

Jet ski dock.

mv-day2-90.jpg

A visitor's center and...

mv-day2-91.jpg

Shops of course!

mv-day2-92.jpg

I noticed a few husbands carry large paper bags back onto the ship throughout the day. 

mv-day2-93.jpg

I suppose I should have asked a few husbands what they found while shopping.

mv-day2-94.jpg

We've come full circle back to Springer's Bar,

mv-day2-95.jpg

Yacht Club guests have their meeting point and golf car shuttles.

mv-day2-96.jpg

Trams are available for us regular (non yachtie) folks.

Heading out this morning I had grabbed a picture of the all aboard time.

mv-day2-97.jpg

Upon returning to the ship I noticed this had been updated to 12am midnight.

Back and board and in my cabin I found a bottle of sparkling wine waiting for me.  This ia Diamond perk.

mv-day2-98.jpg

It was a nice bottle of LaMarca Prosecco which is a label I sometimes buy myself.  Very nice.

mv-day2-99.jpg

It was pretty hot and humid so after my Ocean Cay adventures now into the heat of the day I needed a cool shower and a cold beverage.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It was a nice bottle of LaMarca Prosecco which is a label I sometimes buy myself.  Very nice.

Ah nice.  Always a good sign when your free wine is actually something drinkable.

The Cunard board on Cruise Critic always had a running joke about the quality of the sparkling wine that was in your cabin on boarding day.  And that wine was pretty good compared to the Chardonnay i kept on getting via an Amex promotion.  It was so oaky it tasted like you were drinking tree sap and not wine.

While on board I jumped into the Marketplace Buffet for a bite of lunch and noticed how empty the ship was so...

I prefer to capture pictures absent of strangers in them so I took the opportunity to grab some photos.

Main Pool:

mv-day2-101.jpg

mv-day2-102.jpg

mv-day2-103.jpg

The Bamboo Pool with the roof open.

mv-day2-106.jpg

Cantilevered hot tubs.

mv-day2-107.jpg

mv-day2-108.jpg

mv-day2-109.jpg

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

Ah nice.  Always a good sign when your free wine is actually something drinkable.

The Cunard board on Cruise Critic always had a running joke about the quality of the sparkling wine that was in your cabin on boarding day.  And that wine was pretty good compared to the Chardonnay i kept on getting via an Amex promotion.  It was so oaky it tasted like you were drinking tree sap and not wine.

LaMarca is great, especially for mimosas. 🙂 

Sunset came with us still at Ocean Cay due to our late departure.  I took it in with a glass of wine on my balcony.

mv-day2-114.jpg

mv-day2-115.jpg

In hindsight I should have caught the sunset from the beach.  

On so many Caribbean and Bahamas cruises all aboard is late afternoon so I've seen plenty of sunsets from a ship.  When cruising the opportunity to see a sunset from a beach is less frequent so next time I'm on Ocean Cay with a late departure I'll be on the beach for sunset and I know exactly where to go to see it.  

At 9pm the cruise director promised us a Lighthouse Spectacular show featuring the lighthouse I climbed earlier.  The best place to see the show is from the Lighthouse Beach but I just as i was getting ready to head there a notification of drizzle starting at my location appeared on my phone so I decided to take in the show, this time, from my balcony.

Ocean Cay is close enough to Miami that NOAA weather radar covers Ocean Cay.

I decided to run up to the Sky Lounge on deck 16 to get a drink to enjoy the show with.

mv-day2-118.jpg

Some great sounding live music in the lounge.  The lounge is 21 and over and for fully vaccinated only. 

mv-day2-116.jpg

The pool deck as seen from the Sky Lounge (didn't have my good camera with me). 

mv-day2-117.jpg

Back in my cabin a DJ on the beach had music going with a little light show of their own getting the crowd ready for the Lighthouse Spectacular at 9pm.

mv-day2-119.jpg

mv-day2-121.jpg

Ocean Cay is beautiful at night. 

mv-day2-120.jpg

Another cruise line I sail frequently leaves their private destination well before this time so it's takes some re-thinking about evening plans since MSC stays later at Ocean Cay. 

I'm not used to having this option so I need to re-learn how to visit a private destination that includes late night.  For example Springer's Bar on Ocean Cay also has live music in the evenings after dark.  Next time I need to plan to get off the ship in the evenings.

The Lighthouse Spectacular is pretty... Spectacular!

First let me state it's really hard to capture a show like this with still photography.  I do have some video but I'm fairly certain the music is protected by copyright laws so I'm going to keep that for personal use.

The sides of the lighthouse tower basically become a display surface that plays different scenes.

mv-day2-122.jpg

Combined with the automated LED spotlights when choreographed to music it becomes alive.

mv-day2-123.jpg

mv-day2-124.jpg

It's something you have to see for yourself.

mv-day2-125.jpg

mv-day2-126.jpg

mv-day2-127.jpg

mv-day2-128.jpg

mv-day2-129.jpg

Really quite... spectacular!

mv-day2-130.jpg

Unfortunately my weather app lied.  That drizzle turned into a downpour that the spotlights are illuminating.  That's rain.  Heavy rain. 

mv-day2-131.jpg

Which sent the crowds on the beach scurrying back to the ship soaking wet.  

However next time, if the weather is good... I'll be on the beach!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

At 9pm the cruise director promised us a Lighthouse Spectacular show featuring the lighthouse I climbed earlier.  The best place to see the show is from the Lighthouse Beach but I just as i was getting ready to head there a notification of drizzle starting at my location appeared on my phone so I decided to take in the show, this time, from my balcony.

Ocean Cay is close enough to Miami that NOAA weather radar covers Ocean Cay.

I decided to run up to the Sky Lounge on deck 16 to get a drink to enjoy the show with.

mv-day2-118.jpg

Some great sounding live music in the lounge.  The lounge is 21 and over and for fully vaccinated only. 

mv-day2-116.jpg

The pool deck as seen from the Sky Lounge (didn't have my good camera with me). 

mv-day2-117.jpg

Back in my cabin a DJ on the beach had music going with a little light show of their own getting the crowd ready for the Lighthouse Spectacular at 9pm.

mv-day2-119.jpgOcean Cay is beautiful at night. 

Another cruise line I sail frequently leaves their private destination well before this time so it's takes some re-thinking about evening plans since MSC stays later at Ocean Cay. 

I'm not used to having this option so I need to re-learn how to visit a private destination that includes late night.  For example Springer's Bar on Ocean Cay also has live music in the evenings after dark.  Next time I need to plan to get off the ship in the evenings.

being able to stay at the private island until after dark sounds really cool, it's great the MSC decided to change things up a bit.  that light show thing sounds pretty amazing too.

looks like they spent a lot of money on this island -- they wanted to make sure that Ocean Cay meets or exceeds comparisons with the other cruise line private islands.

it's certainly totally different then what NCL started with in the 80's with their private island --  where you basically tendered and did an amphibious landing onto a deserted beach!

Day 3 - Sea Day

I feel like I haven't captured very much of the ship so with Ocean Cay behind us, it's time to move on. 

I always try to take pictures without a lot of guests in them and one of the easiest ways I have discovered to do this is by taking pictures early in the morning.  So this morning I set out early to capture the ship, or at least what I could before breakfast.

First here is a hallway.  Exciting stuff folks!  This is more so you get an idea of the decor around the ship. 

Note the little lights above the door.  Instead of hanging something on your door when your want privacy or need the cabin serviced there are switches inside that control these small LEDs above the doors so that crew know if they can knock or enter.

mv-day3-1.jpg

Since I have taken to using the panorama elevator and it drops me into the Edge Lounge on deck 7 let's start here:

mv-day3-2.jpg

Many of the bars have this blue barrier which is part of the pandemic protocols on board.  Typically wait staff will be present here ready to take your order. Your order is relayed to the bartender who prepares your drink.  The wait staff handle your card and the interaction so the bartender is free to make drinks.

mv-day3-3.jpg

Those windows are views to the sea during daylight hours.

mv-day3-4.jpg

mv-day3-5.jpg

Of course there is an MSC shop with logo merchandise.

mv-day3-7.jpg

The photo gallery was closed at this early hour.

mv-day3-8.jpg

These features are based around the Infinity Atrium midship.

mv-day3-9.jpg

The atrium looks into the Galleria on decks 6 and 7.

mv-day3-10.jpg

mv-day3-11.jpg

mv-day3-12.jpg

The Galleria.

mv-day3-6.jpg

The dome in the Galleria is a projection surface where they display a number of different graphics to set the mood.

In the center of the Galleria are more shops in the Plaza Meraviglia.

mv-day3-13.jpg

Shore Excursions has a kiosk in this area where you can purchase and manage shore excursions.

mv-day3-15.jpg

Crêpes & Gelato is a take away restaurant.

mv-day3-14.jpg

Crêpes & Gelato Menu:

Jean Philippe Crepes Gelato.pdf

This interesting mechanical piece can be found in the Galleria near the food venues.

mv-day3-16.jpg

There is a Jean Philippe Cafe with Chocolate. 

mv-day3-17.jpg

mv-day3-18.jpg

Jean Philippe Cafe with Chocolate Menu:

Jean Philippe Chocolat and Cafe.pdf

The signature Meraviglia Lounge is near the end of the Galleria .

mv-day3-19.jpg

mv-day3-20.jpg

This was the venue where I first entered the ship on embarkation day.

mv-day3-21.jpg

mv-day3-22.jpg

Edited by twangster

The Galleria has more shops opposite the Meraviglia Lounge.

mv-day3-23.jpg

mv-day3-24.jpg

The dome does make for some very dramatic scenes.

mv-day3-25.jpg

The Galleria has a second level on deck 7.

mv-day3-26.jpg

A lounge that hasn't seen very much use on this reduced capacity voyage is the TV Studio & Bar.

mv-day3-27.jpg

mv-day3-28.jpg

mv-day3-29.jpg

In the middle of deck 7 is a bridge that spans port & starboard sides of the Galleria.  Note how they changed the dome scene as overnight turned to early morning.

Looking forward:

mv-day3-30.jpg

And looking aft:

mv-day3-31.jpg

The Brass Anchor Pub is found on the Galleria forward on deck 7.  

mv-day3-49.jpg

mv-day3-37.jpg

mv-day3-36.jpg

mv-day3-33.jpg

mv-day3-34.jpg

mv-day3-35.jpg

mv-day3-32.jpg

There are information displays to provide information located around the ship.

mv-day3-38.jpg

Also on deck 7 in the Galleria moving aft are two specialty restaurants across from each other.  The first is Kaito Sushi & Teppanyaki.

mv-day3-39.jpg

mv-day3-40.jpg

Behind the glass is the Teppanyaki area.

mv-day3-41.jpg

mv-day3-75.jpg

Kaito Sushi Menu:

Kaito Sushi.pdf

Kaito Teppanyaki Menu:

Kaito Teppanyaki.pdf

Edited by twangster