MSC Meraviglia - August 6, 2021, 3 Nights to Ocean Cay - Page 2 - Trip Reports - Post your cruise photos and stories! - CruiseHabit Cruise Community Jump to content

MSC Meraviglia - August 6, 2021, 3 Nights to Ocean Cay

11 hours ago, CruiseHabit Bill said:

I know you were joking, but I actually ran some numbers a few weeks ago on MSC which might be of interest.  They're WAY more used to carrying passengers than most cruise lines - just not in N America.

Per 2018 Cruise Market Watch, NCLH (all three brands combined) carried 2.47mm pax, and had 12.6% of market revenue. MSC carried 3mm pax, and had 9.8% of market revenue. The share of market revenue isn't surprising - not b/c of their low prices in the US (that's a sliver), but because NCLH's numbers include Regent and Oceania (much higher per diems), and MSC operates many ships in lower-priced markets.

Wow, I had no idea.  Yes, I was joking about the cargo stuff, but I had no idea that they were actually bigger then NCLH in regards to passenger numbers.  I did know they have been doing passenger cruising since the 90's, but I really assumed it was just a small operation that "worked" since they are attached to a huge container shipping company.  Sort of like Hapag-Lloyd and MS EUROPA (which, based on wikipedia, doesn't even seem to be associated with the container shipping company anymore).

I also think NCL seems "bigger" in my mind, since 1) my first cruise was on Norwegian Caribbean Line's Skyward in the 80's and 2) my homeport is NYC, and NCL has been huge here for decades.  They tend to operate two ships here, year round (at least they did pre-pandemic).

My actual concerns about MSC are really just due to the fact i'm just used to sailing on ships that are either "North American centric" (basically every other line that sails out of the US), or QM2, where the onboard product is sort of a British/American hybrid with enough European bits added to keep the Germans happy enough.  I've read things about MSC and having to pay for bottled water at dinner (no tap water available), as if i'm dining in Rome.  I'm not sure I want to do that while sailing around the Caribbean.  

Since you asked beverage packages...

Every bar has a paper menu but more common are these signs with QR codes:

mv-day1-7.jpg

The bottom QR code links to the beverage packages available on board.

PDF:

MSC Meraviglia Drink Packages.pdf

Here are some menus I've collected so far...

Meraviglia Pub.pdf

Meraviglia Pool Bar.pdfMeraviglia Bar.pdf

Come to think of it this is like a challenge game... collect all the bar menus 🙂

Here is one of the physical menus I've seen:

mv-day1-8.jpg

Also note MSC does charge local taxes while in port.

mv-day1-9.jpg

Interesting to note they will post the beverage package purchase to my account later tonight so that it isn't subject to local taxes.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

Here are some menus I've collected so far...

Thanks!  Always fun to look at drink menus.  Looks like the beer selection is as boring as Royal Caribbean.  The pub menu looks like a cut and paste clone from them, haha.

But the drink prices, in general, are way more reasonable than Royal is these days.  I'm glad they didn't copy that!

Cabin tour!

Deck 9, starboard, somewhat midship.

mv-day1-12.jpg

mv-day1-11.jpg

mv-day1-13.jpg

Waiting for me were...

mv-day1-14.jpg

Closet:

mv-day1-10.jpg

Balcony:

mv-day1-15.jpg

View down into the deck 8 extended balconies.

mv-day1-16.jpg

View aft:

mv-day1-17.jpg

View forward:

mv-day1-18.jpg

The balcony is "efficient".

mv-day1-19.jpg

mv-day1-20.jpg

With the curtains open:

mv-day1-21.jpg

Desk area with two euro power ports, two North American 110v outlets and 1 USB.

mv-day1-22.jpg

Nicely laid out bathroom with shower door.

mv-day1-23.jpg

mv-day1-24.jpg

There is a panoramic elevator not far from my cabin which is one of the reasons I picked this location.

mv-day1-25.jpg

Back down to the Galleria.

mv-day1-26.jpg

Four guests per elevator.

mv-day1-27.jpg

• Like 2

Right as I was in the buffet getting ready to put mustard on a hamburger the call for the muster drill came over the PA.  Muster was at 5:30pm.

Muster in the pandemic consists of going to your cabin to watch a video.  At the end of the video a code is displayed.  On this day it was 881.  Using the phone we were instructed to dial this code to record having watched the video.

mv-day1-29.jpg

Next decks were called to begin visiting the actual muster stations.  This started with top decks called in threes until eventually 15 minutes later my deck was called.

Muster station D is in the Plaza.

mv-day1-28.jpg

Using the stairs as instructed was a bit chaotic as other guests called earlier were coming back up the stairs as my collections of decks that were just called were going down the stairs.  Eventually I made it to muster D where my card was scanned and they directed me deeper into the Plaza.

mv-day1-31.jpg

At this point there was no more direction and we all sort of milled about until we all came to the realization that was it.  We were done.  So back up the stairs!

mv-day1-32.jpg

With that muster was complete.

Complete both steps...  dial the code and get your card scanned.  Otherwise you'll get tagged for another muster drill.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

Muster in the pandemic consists of going to your cabin to watch a video.  At the end of the video a code is displayed.  On this day it was 881.  Using the phone we were instructed to dial this code to record having watched the video.

Billy will have to tell us if he is *also* told to dial 881.  Perhaps rotating phone numbers is all a big lie! 🙂

40 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Billy will have to tell us if he is *also* told to dial 881.  Perhaps rotating phone numbers is all a big lie! 🙂

I'd bet it's less that they rotate, and more they just have multiple.  They can see which room calls, so that's easy - even if all calling one number.  They may split it up in the event the system can only handle X calls per extension, or something like that.  We'll see.

Disney nut, cruise fiend, tech geek, condescending elitist.
I talk ship at CruiseHabit.com
Frequent 'No One Else Was Available' guest on RoyalCaribbeanblog.com/podcast

2 hours ago, CruiseHabit Bill said:

I'd bet it's less that they rotate, and more they just have multiple.  They can see which room calls, so that's easy - even if all calling one number.  They may split it up in the event the system can only handle X calls per extension, or something like that.  We'll see.

The PA announcement repeated several time... eight eight one or you will have to do another muster!

It will be interesting to see if they change it up.  As soon as you board dial 881.  What could go wrong?  🙂 

I'm not used to boarding so late 🙂

Time was flying by and day turned into late afternoon then into early evening awfully quickly.

mv-day1-44.jpg

I spent my time exploring mostly the outer decks.

mv-day1-45.jpg

mv-day1-46.jpg

mv-day1-47.jpg

mv-day1-48.jpg

mv-day1-49.jpg

mv-day1-50.jpg

Bar selection:

mv-day1-51.jpg

There are many areas that are seemingly deserted.  I think with so few people on board there are vast areas that aren't seeing any crowds since there is no need to venture there with the main pool decks so available.

mv-day1-52.jpg

mv-day1-53.jpg

Finally sail away was upon us.

mv-day1-54.jpg

With a large anvil cloud over Miami lighting up occasionally with lightning it made for a beautiful sail away.

mv-day1-55.jpg

mv-day1-56.jpg

mv-day1-57.jpg

• Like 1

With all that was going on and sailing away late I chose dinner in the buffet.  

After dinner it was around the ship collecting bar menus.  That ended in the pub with some pub music.

mv-day1-74.jpg

Then it was off to bed for an early morning to watch our arrival into Ocean Cay.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Sail away time lapse:

Was going to make a comment about how unusual a 'dark' sailaway is, but i'm now realizing that for my upcoming Christmas week cruise on Anthem out of NJ, our sail away will likely be even darker!

The end is kinda neat, where the lights from the hull turn on and show the whitecaps from the wake that the bow is creating as you steam ahead.

Day2 - Ocean Cay

Scheduled arrival is 9am.

Up early to explore the ship at or just before dawn.

I had noticed a panoramic elevator on the deck plans so I picked cabin not far from it.  

mv-day2-27.jpg

mv-day2-26.jpg

Up to deck 14.

mv-day2-1.jpg

mv-day2-2.jpg

As we approached Ocean Cay the ship turned and I could start to see a channel defined by buoys like a runway begging us to land.

mv-day2-16.jpg

mv-day2-3.jpg

I headed aft...

mv-day2-5.jpg

To the horizon bar to get a picture, and...

mv-day2-6.jpg

A mimosa to start the day...

mv-day2-8.jpg

mv-day2-14.jpg

It became apparent we were going in aft first which places starboard facing Ocean Cay.  Remember that for cabin selection if it's important to you.

mv-day2-15.jpg

The sun had fully risen but was nestled behind some clouds making for some dramatic morning photography.

mv-day2-17.jpg

As we continued to reverse into the channel the famous lighthouse was growing larger.

mv-day2-18.jpg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I had noticed a panoramic elevator on the deck plans so I picked cabin not far from it.  

Those are always fun on ships; especially ones like this one, that face out to the ocean.  Reminds me of the two they have on QM2.

MSC's private island looks great!  Can't wait to see more of your photos!

3 hours ago, karl_nj said:

Reminds me of the two they have on QM2.

I had the same thought.  Some ships panoramic elevators offer nicer views than others, and this seems to be one of the better ones.

Disney nut, cruise fiend, tech geek, condescending elitist.
I talk ship at CruiseHabit.com
Frequent 'No One Else Was Available' guest on RoyalCaribbeanblog.com/podcast

Ocean Cay

At last we step foot onto Ocean Cay.

mv-day2-28.jpg

Ocean Cay is a marine reserve.

mv-day2-29.jpg

mv-day2-30.jpg

mv-day2-32.jpg

mv-day2-33.jpg

One of the excursion boats waiting for guests.

mv-day2-34.jpg

mv-day2-35.jpg

Springer's Bar.  One of many on the Cay.

mv-day2-36.jpg

The island has nearly 200 live on employees.  This is where they live.  

mv-day2-37.jpg

Not bad for "crew quarters".

mv-day2-38.jpg

Lots of concrete walkways shared with trams and people.

mv-day2-39.jpg

One of the food venues that will serve lunch later today.

mv-day2-40.jpg

Parts of the island of sectioned off because there are just not enough guests visiting right now due to reduced capacity.

mv-day2-41.jpg

mv-day2-42.jpg

mv-day2-43.jpg

Seakers beach at Ocean Cay Lagoon

mv-day2-44.jpg

Have I mentioned it's a great time to cruise with reduced capacity?  Plenty of loungers available.

mv-day2-45.jpg

mv-day2-46.jpg

Cabanas available at a cost.

mv-day2-47.jpg

One end of the Cay is closed at the moment.  

mv-day2-48.jpg

MSC has been busy planting vegetation.

mv-day2-49.jpg

Walking back around to the "ship side" of the Cay.

mv-day2-50.jpg

One of a couple bars available at Lighthouse Bay and Beach.

mv-day2-51.jpg

mv-day2-52.jpg

mv-day2-53.jpg

mv-day2-54.jpg

mv-day2-55.jpg

mv-day2-56.jpg

mv-day2-57.jpg

mv-day2-58.jpg

mv-day2-59.jpg

Lighthouse Bar is a definite must visit venue.

mv-day2-60.jpg

Drink packages work on Ocean Cay just like on the ship.

mv-day2-61.jpg

mv-day2-62.jpg

• Like 1

mv-day2-82.jpg

I had pre-booked the lighthouse tour but my time was later in the day.  Since I was there and hadn't yet indulged I inquired to see if I could go early.  Success.

mv-day2-64.jpg

The tour is guided with stops at three levels to take pictures (and catch your breath).

mv-day2-77.jpg

Pretty good views at the first level.

mv-day2-65.jpg

mv-day2-79.jpg

mv-day2-66.jpg

mv-day2-67.jpg

Time to climb...

mv-day2-68.jpg

Wow!

mv-day2-69.jpg

Great place to get a picture of the ship!

mv-day2-70.jpg

mv-day2-71.jpg

mv-day2-78.jpg

mv-day2-73.jpg

Keep on climbing!

mv-day2-72.jpg

Oh yeah...

mv-day2-80.jpg

Lighthouse Bay and Beach is a netted area.

mv-day2-74.jpg

The tower is lined with LED lights and has these automated spotlights.  After dark is the Lighthouse LED show.

mv-day2-75.jpg

mv-day2-81.jpg

mv-day2-76.jpg

The bars on Ocean Cay have menus like those on the ship.  There are hotspots on Ocean Cay different from the ship wifi but the concept is the same.  Scan the QR code and pull up a bar menu.

Springer's Bar

Springers Bar.pdf

Lighthouse Bar

Lighthouse Bar.pdf

I had trouble logging into to access the internet while on Ocean Cay.  It reported that I was already connected with my one device.  I thought I had logged off my phone from the ship but something didn't like the way I had signed out.  

The whole island does not have wifi coverage but near the bars there are hotspots.

Also on or near the island is a cell tower for the Bahamas Telephone Company.  For my phone and service plan this worked just like it does at another cruise line's private island and in Nassau. YMMV.