MSC "Experiences" - Cruise Chat - CruiseHabit Cruise Community Jump to content

MSC "Experiences"

KathyC

We've been thinking about trying MSC for awhile, and today I had some time so I started looking at some options for 2021.  Their pricing is very different than the other cruise lines we've sailed, and I was wondering about the different "experiences" and which were better over others. 

If I'm reading the descriptions correctly:

Bella - just a regular cruise, worst cabin  locations, leftover dining times -  room service not complimentary, no spa access, special lounges, etc

Fantastica - better cabin location, better timed dining room seating - room service is complimentary during the day, discounts on fitness classes

Aurea - spa access, free massages - exclusive deck area - best time dining seating, Easy Drink Package included (lowest level) 

Suites have additional perks for Fantastica & Aurea experiences.  We're not looking at Yacht - that's above our budget and quite frankly don't sail in suites as I'd rather spend my budget on a high price cabin I'm never in anyway!  ? 

It looks to me like the regular cruiser doesn't really need more than Bella or Fantastica.  I don't see much value in a drink package that covers drinks up to $6 for Aurea, and unless your a spa fan there doesn't seem to be any other reason for Aurea.

So is Fantastica the better choice?  Is there a reason not to book Bella?  I'm thinking Bella is okay maybe for port-intensive itineraries, where you're there to sleep and probably eat in port?  Or am I reading it to be worse than it is?

Any and all opinions welcome - but no "gotta do yacht club" replies.  Not in the budget.  ? 

I think the drink packages and 'experiences' are two of the big things that MSC overcomplicates - potentially putting some people off.

We sailed Seaside with Fantastica, and next time, I'd be inclined to select Aurea for one simple reason: on Seaside (and some other ships) there is a seperate outdoor area and bar just for Aurea (and YC) guests.  Is it necessary?  Certainly not, at least on Seaside the design was such that even though the pool itself would get crowded, there was a ton of space to lounge.  Still, on any contemporary line, the option of having a slightly less crowded area for sea days is interesting - depending on the cost of course.  I'd not pay hundreds more, but I'd pay something, and the actual costs varies by sailing.

We've been eyeing another MSC, so we'll see what's available when we figure that out.

• Like 2

Disney nut, cruise fiend, tech geek, condescending elitist.
I talk ship at CruiseHabit.com
Frequent 'No One Else Was Available' guest on RoyalCaribbeanblog.com/podcast

We're not huge pool people.  In fact, we have been known to not even put a swimsuit on once during an entire sailing.   While we do enjoy the hot tubs, we have one in our backyard so no big reason to get in one on a ship.  We're all about experiencing the culture of the places we visit as opposed to sitting on their beaches (which we can also do at home, albeit not year round.) LOL  So having a less crowded pool area isn't a big benefit to us.  But not having to wait as long for a drink...hmmmm... ? 

Sounds like Fantastica is the place for us to start.  Thanks! 

• Like 1

it seems MSC is still trying to work out some glitches within the american market.  they do definitely try to overwhelm us with their complicating packages on which experience and drink package or if you want to do their all in one option which includes easy drink package.  looking at the easy package drink list there is quite a variety of options of wines and spirits for price and even for frozen cocktails although non alcoholic, order the rum on side and mix it in to cocktail to have a nice lava flow or pina colada.   another thing is having to set up your onboard account at the kiosk and register for shows onboard.   comparing it to Royal or Celebrity its a totally different perspective when it comes to pre planning onboard experiences.  MSC has the app which is helpful while on board.  plus remember passengers are embarking and disembarking at ports so flow of suitcases in hallway.  very diversified array of passengers so announcements in many languages just like on European sailings.  MSC does offer some great rates and itineraries for the price compared to Royal/Celebrity.  heck at times can find cruises so reasonable for MSC that could book many more cruises on them for what other cruise lines charge for ONE sailing.  fortunately for me, my travel agent did a sailing for "research" purposes on the Meraviglia so that gave me the information and insight if MSC was a good fit for me.  their new private island is up and coming but compared to Coco Cay is very nice with more of a laid back vibe having more cultural experiences where Coco Cay has waterpark etc. plus you are more luckily docked there up til late at night so can experience night on the beach with so many activities going on from parade, music, star gazing,etc.  Plus remember Kathy they match status from Royal so that is another perk.  sometimes its hard for us being loyal to one cruise line to sway over to others but its all about what the ship offers and itineraries.  for me Meraviglia offered so much to do on the ship comparing it to Royal Oasis class that felt it was best option for me to YOLO book it.

• Like 2

I was also looking at the Meraviglia for 2021. The few dates I checked seemed a little cheaper than Royal, but YC was very comparable to a GS on Royal (but has more perks included). I have read from many that YC makes a big difference. For a Caribbean itinerary, we have been to most of the islands, so we really enjoy a decent adult pool area for port days when we stay onboard. (BTW, Celebrity Equinox had a very good one). 

mac

• Like 1